Mercedes-Benz are one of North America’s best selling cars, with particular high volume sales attributed to the C-Class and S-Class ranges. As with most automobile manufacturers, Mercedes-Benz have given the customer the option to pay extra to get the Mercedes-Benz Navigation System installed into the dashboard when buying from the dealer, which means the driver won’t have to pay for a standalone portable navigation device from the likes of Garmin or TomTom (in fact, many of the in-dash units are actually developed by these companies anyway).Mercedes-Benz GPS Maps Need Updating Regularly
As with all forms of in-car GPS devices, the Mercedes-Benz Navigation System is only as good and as reliable as the maps that are installed onto it. Contrary to the popular opinion held by many drivers, maps are not beamed down from the satellite network, purely for your car’s position, with the mapping software installed directly onto the device. Every single day of the year there are changes being made to the road networks such as new lanes, highways, intersections, and such like – and because of that, the GPS maps in a Mercedes-Benz car will never truly be up to date and current.
Thankfully, new Mercedes-Benz Navigation System updates are released annually by a company called Navteq. These are the people who supply digital mapping solutions to the majority of GPS manufacturers and for Mercedes-Benz vehicles the new software comes packaged on a yearly Mercedes-Benz Navigation DVD. If you decide it’s time to update the maps in your car, this is how you do it with a few tips to make sure it all goes smoothly.How to Install the 2012 Mercedes-Benz Navigation DVD
Assuming that you have already purchased the Mercedes-Benz Navigation DVD set for 2012 then installing the new maps is relatively straight forward, and should take you no longer than 30 minutes. Here are some simple steps to follow:
- Get into your Mercedes-Benz and turn the ignition on. This should boot up the Mercedes-Benz Navigation System automatically, but if it does not then you will need to switch it into navigation mode.
- If the old Navteq DVD is already in the disc drive then press to eject it. Regardless you will need to insert the new Mercedes-Benz disc.
- Once the new Mercedes-Benz Navigation DVD is in the system, the display should prompt you with the command “Update Maps.” Click “Yes” to confirm.
- You will now need to enter in your unique customer identification and authentication code. This is printed on the packaging for the 2012 Mercedes-Benz Navigation DVD so make sure you don’t lose it.
- Once your serial number has been entered, the navigation system will start to install the latest software update. Typically this could take between fifteen and twenty minutes as there’s a lot of data that it needs to load.
- When the new Mercedes-Benz maps are all loaded to your system it should read “Update Complete.” You now have the latest maps on the device and are ready to drive again.
One important aspect to consider is that you should never turn the Mercedes-Benz Navigation System off during this install and upgrade process. If you do so, then the install could become corrupted meaning you need to start again from scratch, or in a worst-case-scenario will need to seek assistance from an official Mercedes-Benz engineer to fix any problems or issues.More Information on Mercedes-Benz Navigation System Updates
If you have found this “how to” article interesting and want to know more then please visit the team at GPSNavigationDVD.net
. They offer comprehensive and independent advice on all things related to GPS map updates and have a specialist section dedicated simply to Mercedes-Benz map updates. For full details please click to visit on: Mercedes-Benz Navigation DVD Updates