Here at Betten Imports we have our very own piece of Volkswagen history: a 1979 Super Beetle Volkswagen Convertible. Taken in on trade 12 years ago, the classic Beetle was given only minimal restoration. The Beetle is kept in good running condition, but spends most of its days in our Volkswagen showroom.
1979 was the last year that the Super Beetle Convertible was produced in the U.S. The iconic Beetle was replaced by the Rabbit convertible.
1979 Volkswagen Beetle - Super Beetle Convertible:
Volkswagen Beetle History:
- Originally simply dubbed as the 'Volkswagen'
- Designed for sustaining high speeds on the European Autobahn
- Served as benchmark for economy cars in North America
- Named 4th most influential car of the 20th Century in a 1999 international poll
- Over 21 million manufactured from 1938 - 2003
- Considered a 'cult' car since the 1960's with a large following of fans: 'VW-heads' or 'Dubbers'
- Longest-running and most-manufactured vehicle of a single design anywhere in the world
1979 Super Beetle Convertible at Betten Imports:
- 1600 CC air-cooled engine
- 4-speed manual transmission
- 60 horsepower
- 2,060 lbs
- Original selling price of $9,500
- Air-cooled engine
- Rear engine and rear-wheel drive
- Dual port electronic fuel injection
- Manual convertible top
To see more pictures of the 1979 Super Beetle Convertible at Betten Imports, check out our Facebook or Flickr!
What's your favorite version of the Beetle? Do you prefer the old models or the new re-vamped versions? What do you think of the re-designed 2012 Volkswagen Beetle?